Wednesday, March 28, 2007

my week

Scene 1:

10:30PM, I'm at the Atlantic Avenue/Pacific Street mega-station, walking from the D train walking in the big corridor between the two lines. I’m feeling a bit tired, but nonetheless a but bouncey listening to the new LCD Soundsystem song “Someone great”, when, suddenly, I lose my balance. Brain registers the sticky floor surface. My left foot goes forward but my right is stationary. I’m on the ground, doing the splits, like a 9 year old girl. I slipped on a deconstructed Big Mac. My jeans are covered in that mystery ketchup-mayo orange sauce , pasty, dead-looking lettuce, and half-soy, half-cow burger meat.

I look up, and the crowd that was just running to make the connection to the 2/3 has slowed and is looking back at me. An older guy walks past, and without helping me up, says, “Damn boy, you just did the splits!”

Yes I did, sir. This is Brooklyn.

No comments: